Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Healthy and Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies


Most of us are familiar with the original Toll-House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Nestle bought the rights to it in the thirties or forties. The owner of the Toll-House Inn was trying to cut corners with a chocolate cookie. Instead of melting the chocolate and adding it to the dough, she thought she'd save time by chopping it and mixing it in. She thought it would melt throughout, but it didn't, and a legend was born. I had the recipe memorized early on in  life, and when my first daughter was a baby I could bake a batch with one hand tied behind my back. Actually, tied up with Marie in a baby-sling.

My children are very discerning. They'll eat store bought cookies, but they prefer homemade. I feel better that no matter what we make, it's got to be healthier than what is in the store. I've been experimenting in the last couple of years with healthier versions of the classic Toll-House Cookie, and my kids think this is THE best. They really are delicious.

In this recipe I mention quite a few options. Not everyone has chickens or a flour grinder, or happened to stop at the Osceola Cheese Store on their way to Branson and purchase sorghum syrup (not in the typical honey bear--but an angel--so cute I'll post her picture).


Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Beat  together in large bowl:

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup organic sugar (or you could use white...it's still a third less sugar than the original recipe)
1 Tb sorghum or molasses (lends the flavor that is in the usual brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla

When light and fluffy, beat in:

2 eggs (farm fresh, preferably)

In separate bowl, stir together well:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (we grind our own fine; when bought, I prefer King Arthur brand)
3 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (we used the store brand; healthier still would be organic)
1 tsp sea salt (or Table salt)
1 tsp Baking Soda

Stir this flour mixture into the butter mixture until well incorporated. Then add and stir in:

1 cup of the best semi-sweet chocolate morsels or chunks or chopped bits you can find.
We love Nestle. You could add up to two cups (My older daughters and I are also trying to limit excess calories, but you may not need to; we wanted a cookie that would be no more than 2 Weight Watcher's Plus-points).

Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. The cookies are equally good slightly underdone or richly golden brown.  It is best to bake one sheet at a time. I have a lovely convection oven, but I don't use it for cookies. I may be able to put three sheets in at one time, but the results have never been satisfying to me. Next batch I plan to add some toasted, chopped pecans. One child suggested coconut...I'd say a cup would do.

The kids love them chewy and substantial, but if you like a softer, flatter cookie, reduce the whole wheat flour to 1 cup. If you want/need to disguise the oatmeal, it can be turned into oat flour in your blender. Stick to the three cups of oats to start with--it will reduce when made into flour. For gluten-free diets, try with all oat or rice flour. Bruce prefers raisins to chocolate chips...add a tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp cloves!

I guarantee your family will love them. Let me know when you've tried them!

Boys will even lay down their toy guns for these!

 


God Bless!

Suzy

1 comment:

  1. Just made these again. My oldest daughter got married and moved away (!) and left me her bag of whole wheat flour. The results from this flour were not as good, so I recommend either grinding your own white wheat berries or getting a whole white wheat flour from your grocery store. Even our Walmart carries a Hodgeson Mill and a King Arthur brand. You may never make the Original Toll House again!

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete